I'm NOT a musician, I'm an engineer! BUT I've recently taken an interest in classical music, and it's both fascinating and very affordable. If you've got a DSL connection to the Internet, you've already got season tickets. Why not see what's playing?
Saturday, July 07, 2012
The French Revolution and an Introduction to Beethoven
This lecture discusses the life of Ludwig van Beethoven and the revolutionary times in which he lived. In comparing Haydn's Symphony No. 88 and Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, we emphasize the fact that Beethoven's symphony does not reflect a period style but is, rather, a self-referential art work. We explore Beethoven's early life and progressive hearing disability to understand the sources of his rage, alienation, and independence. We also explore the elements of heroism, radical change, revolution, and Napoleon that helped to inspire Beethoven's music and allowed its acceptance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment